Step 1) Pull Tarot cards for character personality. Pull 4 cards from the Court cards and Trumps; allot one to Querant/Core Mage Personality, and one to represent avatar personality/essence. Pull 8 cards from the number cards. Place 4 as character Goals (things that must be achieved or overcome on the road to ascension), 2 as character Limits (things that are strongly holding the character back from ascension and being a complete person), and 2 as Strengths (things that are assets on the character's path)
Step 2) Fill out character questions (below). Each answer that gives me a plot hook or insight into how to motivate your character or work your character into the game in some way is worth 1 freebie point. Really exceptional answers that give me a lot to work with are worth two. Answers need not be long, just need to contain good ideas.
Step 3) Spend character creation points:
1) Where were you born/where did you grow up?
2) What were your parents and siblings like?
3) When, if ever, did you get a sense that you were different?
4) How were you found by your Tradition? Did the strength of your Avatar or Destiny draw the fate-watchers to you or did you do something to attract the notice of your mentor?
5) Who do you keep in touch with from your sleeper days? Who have you had to leave behind or lost in the time since your awakening?
6) How do you feel about the Traditions, the Technocracy, and your place in their dynamic?
7) What knowledge and training are you currently in pursuit of?
8) What material/mundane goals are you in pursuit of?
9) What do you hope to accomplish mystically or in mage society in the next few years?
10) What is it that causes you to find people trustworthy, likable, or otherwise worthwhile to join with in pursuit of mutual goals?
11) What do you look for in a friend? What do you look for in a lover?
12) What would it take to convince you to betray your allies or chantrymates?
13) What would it take to convince you to betray your cabalmates, friends, or loved ones?
14) What would it take to convince you to betray your country, Tradition, or religion?
15) What would it take to convince you to betray your paradigm?
16) What would it take to convince you to kill?
17) What would it take to convince you to sacrifice your own life?
18) What would it take to convince you to enter the cauls and become a Nephandus?
19) What do you feel is your greatest asset in pursuit of Ascension?
20) What do you feel is your greatest weakness in pursuit of Ascension?